Wednesday 7 July 2010

Sophie Peters Reviews The Saatchi Gallery

I recently visited the Saatchi Gallery and its newly opened exhibition, ‘Newspeak’. I found the exhibition easy to discover and constantly exciting, with a range of sculpture, painting, and installations.

Having never been to the Saatchi before, it is now one of my favourite galleries in London. Set in a beautiful location near Sloane Square, it is just the right size without being over-whelming.

One of my favourite artists exhibiting was Hurvin Anderson. I especially liked his Untitled (Black Street) and Peter’s Sitters 3 featured above. I also loved the cultural references in his work and use of colour, placed upon the canvas with thick expanses of paint.

Another interesting artist was Sigrid Holmwood who subverts traditional scenes of peasant life by painting in psychedelic fluorescent paint. The use of this medium must be a growing trend, as at D&AD New Blood last week I noticed it was also used in one of the students work.

The most eye-catching part of the show however, was a work by Scott King; a huge screen-print of Cher in the style of the Che Guevara graphic. Despite drawing the most attention, it was in fact not a very succcessful piece. What was a fantastic piece of graphic design on his 2001 cover of Sleazenation lacked context in the gallery space.

Newspeak is well worth the visit. It caters for many tastes, and there were quite a few pieces there I would love to have on my wall! I think this exhibition is good for viewing a wide variety of work, especially if you often go to galleries and find the work you see bleak and pretentious. The exhibit is full of colour and thought-provoking pieces.

All in all, a good place to expand your opinions on British Art Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment